[ale] image viewing software on Macs

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:20:44 EDT 2012

Xee[1]. Xee is awesome (and so is the guy's other software).

As for The GIMP, I wouldn't recommend it. No one maintains a proper
native port of it and the X version is annoying. Primarily, you either
have focus follows mouse (completely contrary to OS X in general) or
click to focus. If you use click to focus, then you have to click
twice on the toolbars, once to activate and a second time to actually
select something, and twice on the image (same thing).

I haven't found a good free alternative. In terms of paid, I gave
Acorn (by Flying Meat Software) a try but it works nothing like
Photoshop, e.g. resize window to resize image(wtf?) [their Voodoo Pad
is great, though]. I have settled on using Pixelmator[2] for my basic
image editing needs. It is a bit pricy for what it does, but it was
worth the 2.0 sale they had in the Mac App Store.

[1] -- http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html
[2] -- http://www.pixelmator.com/