[ale] Speaking of Ubuntu

Cameron Kilgore ghostfreeman at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:44:15 EDT 2012

Canonical started moving away from using "Linux" in its official branding
around the 10.* releases.

Sent from my iPad

On May 15, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm. Maybe if they wrote their own from scratch. The kernel is what makes
it "Linux". Dropping the word "Linux" from the kernel makes it sound like
Cannonical has produced the kernel all on their own. Kind of snake-oil
sales in my view.

RedHat calls theirs "RedHat Enterprise Linux kernel".  They pay a lot of
people to write kernel code that a very many people are happy with.

But Cannonical has always appeared to me to be rather pompous and
bombastic.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Matthew <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, if they modified it to be their own, go a head.
>
> On 5/15/12, Rich Faulkner <rfaulkner at tux86.org> wrote:
> > Did anyone catch that Canonical is now referring to the Linux kernel as
> > the "Ubuntu" kernel in 12.04?
> >
> > RinL
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device