[ale] I really incredibly exponentially hate ubuntu unity

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Tue May 15 14:09:29 EDT 2012

On 05/15/2012 12:46 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Warning - ranting follows. Apologies in advance to anyone who likes
> Ubuntu Unity. I've been using a Ubuntu 11.10 live cd to do some disk
> maintenance. I have to vent, here, or I'm going to have to break some
> fragile objects in the house. By the way, I know I've said some of
> this before. After all the careful consideration and observation and
> pondering I can stand, I have concluded that:
>
> <RANT ON>
>
> I hate unity.
> No, I HATE unity.
> No, I REALLY hate unity.
> No, I really INCREDIBLY hate unity.
> No, I really incredibly EXPONENTIALLY hate unity.

one of the reasons that Linux has so little Desktop Traction is the
desire to reinvite the desktop environment so blasted often. I remember
back when we used to have "Windows Manager Wars" instead of "Desktop
Wars".  Your distro was NOT your desktop. And switching distros to get a
new desktop just seems absurd to me.

Then again, Ubuntu has made a fortune by selling their pre-packaged
goodness as an environment. Kinda like Windows has.

Anyone here using plain old debian? How does it handle the multiple
desktop situation?