[ale] I really incredibly exponentially hate ubuntu unity

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue May 15 13:40:35 EDT 2012

On 05/15/2012 12:46 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Warning - ranting follows. Apologies in advance to anyone who likes
> Ubuntu Unity. I've been using a Ubuntu 11.10 live cd to do some disk
> maintenance. I have to vent, here, or I'm going to have to break some
> fragile objects in the house. By the way, I know I've said some of
> this before. After all the careful consideration and observation and
> pondering I can stand, I have concluded that:
>
> <RANT ON>
>
> I hate unity.
Likewise.  It's a non-UI.  I'd rather use the command line.

I run Mint 12 and Mate on my netbook.  I have a few issues with it, but
it's as close to what I like/want/am used to as I can find in newer
distros.  I didn't have a problem with KDE 3 but 4 was seriously a POS
so I went to Gnome.  Now when I upgrade it wil NOT be Ubuntu.  In one
place I saw that the popularity of Mint had skyrocketed due to Unity
(audience was biased towards Mint) however in another place they refuted
that (audience was biased towards Ubuntu).

I think your comment about the suitability of a tablet GUI being poor
for a desktop environment.  Since I use a trackball on one system, I
don't have the ability to scroll with a wheel.

Try Mint.  It has it's warts but I think their heart is in the right
place, or closer than Ubuntu's.

Jim.