[ale] Mac's version of BSD

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun May 13 16:54:49 EDT 2012

Normally, you'd do this sort of operation (check S.M.A.R.T. status)
with Disk Uility[1]. This tool is found under /Applications/Utilities.
However, if you want to check it with a CLI tool, then you can use
`diskutil` like so: `diskutil info disk0 | grep SMART`. Full
information report from diskutil looks like this:

 $ diskutil info disk0
   Device Identifier:        disk0
   Device Node:              /dev/disk0
   Part of Whole:            disk0
   Device / Media Name:      WDC WD5000BEKT-00KA9T0 Media

   Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

   Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

   File System:              None

   Content (IOContent):      GUID_partition_scheme
   OS Can Be Installed:      No
   Media Type:               Generic
   Protocol:                 SATA
   SMART Status:             Verified

   Total Size:               500.1 GB (500107862016 Bytes) (exactly
976773168 512-Byte-Blocks)
   Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
   Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

   Read-Only Media:          No
   Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)
   Ejectable:                No

   Whole:                    Yes
   Internal:                 Yes
   Solid State:              No