[ale] what exactly does a long smart hdd test do?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat May 12 11:16:25 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,

I thought that -n switch was read only. However, when I tried to run badblocks -n, it refused to run. I also saw that warning in the man page, so I'm not going to try to force it to run. Mike T also suggested dismounting the file system to run the test. So I think I'll try that. That brings up more questions. Will the following procedure work?

Detour. While I was writing this, I went to the computer and tried something else. On this machine, /boot is /dev/sda2 and / is /dev/sda3. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04. The following commands worked while the system is running, since it does a read only test. I omitted the -n option in this case.

-s displays ongoing status updates
-v verbose
-n non destructive read write test

sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda2
sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda3

So, that should be at least as effective as the surface analysis is on Windows. Back to my original train of thought. If I wanted to do the nondestructive read write test, would the following work?

1) Boot system from a live Ubuntu CD.
2) Open a terminal.
3) sudo badblocks -nsv /dev/sda2
and sudo badblocks -nsv /dev/sda3

Or, would I have to do something else to access the hard drive since I booted from a CD? Also, can I check the Windows ntfs partitions in the same manner?

Also, while I'm there, I would probably want to check the file systems on those two partitions. I know I can trigger that from the disk utility via Gnome, but how do I do that from the command line?

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

As a general rule, file system maintenance on a mounted file system is a very (very, VERY) bad idea. badblocks runs are file system maintenance. There is a flag -f that will force it to run on a mounted file system but the man pages have the following warning:

 -f     Normally, badblocks will refuse to do a read/write or a non-destructive test  on  a  device  which  is
              mounted,  since  either can cause the system to potentially crash and/or damage the filesystem even if
              it is mounted read-only.  This can be overridden using the -f flag, but should almost  never  be  used
              ---  if  you  think  you’re smarter than the badblocks program, you almost certainly aren’t.  The only
              time when this option might be safe to use is if the /etc/mtab  file  is  incorrect,  and  the  device
              really isn’t mounted

I would strongly advise running this on an unmounted file system. Testing the swap space is then trivial.

I looked at the man page for badblocks. badblocks -n looks promising. Can I run that on a mounted file system? Also, is there something I can use to test the swap area, which, in my case, is an 8 GB FILE? Or, will badblocks include this area in this case?

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

Badblocks has a read only mode that's safe for mounted systems. It's not as thorough as the rw version as it doesn't know what's supposed to be in a block.