[ale] VM load average stays around 4.5 and jumps as high as 8 or 9

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:22:31 EDT 2012

After the update, the CentOS vm needs to run some maintenance task
(specifically the lib caching process). It takes a long time on a physical
box (4-5 hours) as it does a literal binary recompile for faster cached lib
usage (it replaces generic "use this library" call with actual memory
addresses for the cached libs - slick but setup is slow).

Give it a day to settle down. It will not need to redo it's stuff after the
next reboot. Next time the app is launched, it will use the modified
version with the memory locations.

Note: this process wreaks havoc with IPS as the running binary IS changed
from the static one on the hard drive.  :-)

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Geoffrey Myers <
lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

> So, I've got a Centos VM that is installed on Mac.  I had a Mac OSX
> update and a gcc update on the VM.
>
> Now my load average sits at 4.5 and every now and then jumps to 8 or 9.
>  when it does that, the VM freezes until it drops back down.
>
> Any clues as to what is causing this?  I'm sure the gcc is not an issue.
>  Do I need to reinstall virtual box?
>

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky