[ale] DNS Cache Probing was cacheing DNS?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:11:52 EDT 2012

you are trying to run a commercial service on a residential ISP product. In
short, you can't fix this without getting a commercial account that does no
filtering.

Many (most?) residential lines are port filtered heavily to block all sorts
of nasty. A residential customer running a rogue DNS server is viewed as a
security problem (and they usually are).

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM, William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2012, John Heim wrote:
> (snips)
> > http://dns.measurement-factory.com/cgi-bin/openresolvercheck.pl says
> > I'm running an open resolver.
>
> Have a similar problem to John, likely for a very different reason. I am
> trying to pass a PCI (Credit card merchant) compliance scan of my home
> computer and failing on *one* single point. They say I'm running a DNS
> server that is allowing "DNS Cache Probing".  I'm not, my port 53 is
> closed, and I have even turned off the internal DNS cache built into my
> fire wall in an attempt to pass.
>
> It apeares from the link John posted that my ISP may be intercepting these
> external DNS queries since it is they who are answering.
>
> "184.60.162.220 [64.50.228.54]  open    2012-05-10 14:02:28"
> >From the notes,
> "If a resolver receives and transmits on different addresses, the
> transmitting address is shown in [brackets]."
>
> If so, I have no control over 64.50.228.54 and its open status or allowing
> cache probing. Any help on passing this compliance test
> would be appreciated.
> --
> William

James P. Kinney III