[ale] Fwd: Jim - cannot post this message to ALE, please post for me

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed May 9 13:26:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:13 +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> While I might feel "small" compared to the scenery I've always feared
> I wouldn't compared to the cabins.  I'm 6'3" and it has been years
> since anyone described me as "gaunt".   My understanding is that many
> cruise ship cabins are best suited for hobbits.

Not true at all.  Even inside cabins can be quite nice.  Smaller than a
luxury hotel room for sure but, even at 6'3" you won't feel cramped in
one.  And you really don't spend a lot of time in your cabin, other than
sleeping and changing and what not, anyways.

Even when we were on the Windsurf (a sailing ship in the Windstar lines)
the cabins were comfortable.

> Interesting you bring it up though - I've been trying to decide
> whether I should drive to Alaska this summer as it is the only
> continental state I haven't driven to (or been to at all) or
> investigate cruises.

Alaska, we took the "Sun Princess", a cruiser class ship (~1500
passengers) and it was wonderful.  I'm less impressed with the larger
grand cruiser class ships (~3,000 passenger).  They just seem to have
gotten too big at that scale.  But we've been on several of those as
well and they are still very very nice.

If you have 2 weeks, go for a cruise tour where you can tour up to
Fairbanks by rail and cruise the inside passage before or after.  If you
have three weeks, you can make a "midnight sun" tour above the arctic
circle.  Fairbanks gets you high enough that, in the summer, the sun
only goes down below the horizon for about and hour and it never gets
darker than dusk.

Regards,
Mike