[ale] cacheing DNS?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed May 9 13:10:39 EDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012, John Heim wrote:

> I'm confused about caching DNS and recursion. I keep reading that best
> practice is to not use the same dns servers for the machines on your LAN as
> you do for those outside your LAN. So if I'm the admin of example.org and if
> I want redundant DNS servers for both internal and external queries, do I
> have to run four DNS servers?  Do people really do that?

DNSmasq is useful for internal servers, it's a caching DNS server suitible
for small (internet scale small) networks that lets you "lie" about
specific internal addresses.

ie:  from outside:   foo.example.org  is 66.129.123.123  (or whatever)
      from office:    foo.example.org  is 192.168.13.123  (or whatever)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnsmasq

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html