[ale] OT: ruby/redmine/apache

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed May 9 08:42:59 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 08:12 AM, leam hall wrote:
> If you business case works for keeping up with security patches and
> stuff yourself, then you might as well take the freedom of custom
> compiling and module management too.

I can't speak to Ruby, but Python is bloody simple to compile in any
environment that I have encountered other than DOS, where it simply
isn't useful anyway.  If the application is managing interpreter
lifecycle, then it makes sense to incorporate the building of the
interpreter itself into the project build system.  Or, at the very least
to have a script that will fetch and build it on a developer's system
quickly.

If it's too complicated to do it that way, then forget it: use different
tools.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”