[ale] OT: ruby/redmine/apache

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed May 9 08:38:24 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 06:07 AM, Leam Hall wrote:
> I will disagree with this from an enterprise perspective. If you use the
> OS version then you are letting the OS team maintain security
> vulnerability remediations.

I use Python virtualenv for the same reason: isolation from the the
operating system version.  I also update the Python interpreters every
time a point release is made.

> If your application can't handle an upgrade
> you probably need to find a better application.

I'll disagree here.  Languages change --- a lot --- and even C isn't
backwards compatible to K&R from its current incarnation.

Virtualenv or RVM is great, and I think that every language should have
the ease of installation and management that Python at least does with
virtualenv.  I don't use ruby, so I can't speak to it.

Though, that said, I remember having to do an awful lot of hokey pokey
to get my Redmine working.  It hasn't broken since, other than the fact
that it uses way too much RAM, so I don't remember what voodoo I had to
do to get it working.  I do remember it was hell, though, and I cannot
wait until I can get rid of it.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”