[ale] [Somewhat OT] DoD 8570 IAT Level II Compliance

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue May 8 20:02:33 EDT 2012

Just a note for those who may be looking at the job market. ATL has a
lot of Department of Defense contractors in the area and all through GA.
One of the big things that will attract you to recruiters is being DoD
8570 IAT Level II complaint.

This is actually easier than you might think. It requires an OS and a
Security certification. Linux+ and a Security+ will take care of that
for you. You must have both, but of course you can go further with RHCE,
LPIC II/III, CISSP, etc...

The other good cert to have is ITIL v3 Foundations. Go in with some
friends to get the book and training set from The Art of Service, it's
about $90. Of the ones I've seen TAoS is the best. I passed the test but
I've been using ITIL, unknowingly, for years.

If you want to get a job with a clearance be prepared to answer a lot of
questions, document where all you've lived and worked, and do lots more
questions. Half a forest dies every time someone applies for a
clearance. Don't get upset about your privacy; be honest. If that sort
of thing isn't for you then don't gripe if they don't change the system
to meet your expectations.

Like any corporate job it has ups and downs. You can prepare yourself to
have a better chance with some simple certifications and documented work
experience.

Enjoy!

Leam
   -- No, I'm not a recruiter nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.