[ale] cacheing DNS?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:00:06 EDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 05:46 PM, John Heim wrote:
> I'm confused about caching DNS and recursion. I keep reading that best
> practice is to not use the same dns servers for the machines on your LAN as
> you do for those outside your LAN. So if I'm the admin of example.org and if
> I want redundant DNS servers for both internal and external queries, do I
> have to run four DNS servers?  Do people really do that?

Hey John,

I think the normal process is to have your DNS servers also cache
external info. Of course, you can set up a caching name server on each
host. It's not that difficult and might help if your doing a lot of
activity with the same sites.

Keep in mind that the nameserver directive in /etc/resolv.conf can only
have 3 entries, IIRC.

Leam