[ale] CLI conversion of word DOCs to PDF

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue May 8 15:15:14 EDT 2012

It even makes sense to document BEFORE you do something.

Once I worked on a project where we were going to create perl versions of multiple scripts.   We were going to be using a new version of a product alongside the older version and were tasked with setting up new scripts with same name as they'd always had but which would work for the two different versions by dispatching out.

My team lead at the time forced me to first write a document about all the existing scripts, what they did, what parameters the allowed for and what the expected results were.   At the time I started I thought it was busywork that was keeping me from the real project.  However after having done it and we began writing the perl code it was amazing how easy it was to decide what to do having gone through the documentation exercise.

In general I'm a big fan of documenting things for two reasons:
1)  Some thing are only touched once in a great while and trying to remember something 6 months after you set it up is sometimes not easy.
2)  Being able to hand someone else a document and saying "here do this and ask me if you have any questions" saves a lot of time.  Also the questions one gets back can help to make a better document.