[ale] CLI conversion of word DOCs to PDF

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue May 8 14:58:59 EDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 11:36 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 11:18 AM, Michael Campbell wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
>> <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
>> <mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>>  wrote:
>>
>>      I do believe that almost all programmers either can't, or won't, or
>>      perhaps most of all, are not given the time and encouragement to
>>      properly document their code.
>>

>> As a full time developer, "not given time" is the biggest issue I have.
>>    I'd love to have the time, AS I'M WRITING THE CODE, to document what
>> the hell I'm doing, but alas, so many in various levels of non-technical
>> management don't see it that way;
>
> Personally, I see this the easiest way to do it.  Commenting as you go
> adds very little time to the actual development process.  Particularly
> when compared to going back and trying to document the code after you've
> finished.
>
> But, I know what you mean about management.

I tend to agree, when I take the time to document what I'm doing, I'll
find I'm understanding what I'm trying to do better and make fewer
mistakes.  Otherwise I get lost once in a while.  Now if I could just
get my wife to understand that when I'm worrying over a large chunk of
complex code, I don't need to hear what her mother bought yesterday.

And duck.

Jim.