[ale] TIP - Use VIM to color code lines in NTP.CONF

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:11:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
<atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure many of you know this, but ...
>
> Here's a neat trick I just discovered.  If you like to put lots of
> comments in NTP.CONF, as I do, it's sometimes a challenge to find where
> the active lines are and where the comments are.
>
> I just discovered that, if you use the VIM programmer's editor to edit
> the file, all the comment lines are automatically color coded blue and
> all the active lines are color coded black.  This makes it very easy to
> see the structure of the file.  Not wishing to start a firestorm
> discussion of editors, you could use any programmer's editor that
> recognizes and color codes the lines with # as a comment.  VIM is even
> smart enough to recognize in line comments after an active command.
>
> I've also extracted almost all my explanatory comments and put them in
> special sections with two blank lines before and after like so:
>

> #########################################################
> ###          explanatory comments
> ###  here's the theory of how the next commands work
> ###  so on and so forth etc etc etc
> #########################################################
>

> That also makes it easier to read the file.
>
> See the following:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/vim%20sample%20image.png
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf-normal
>
> VIM is available for almost any platform, including graphical versions,
> which I prefer.  The graphical version for Ubuntu is called gnome-vim or
> is it vim-gnome in the repository, and gvim once it's installed.  I have
> no idea if it works with Unity.
>
> http://www.vim.org/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

> call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>
> Ron Frazier
>
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT c3energy.com

If you are on the Command Line just type

:set syntax off

Then everything the same color.   Gvim color, but even in X like to
open a term and use vim there.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org