[ale] partitioning and /usr [was Re: Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server]

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Mar 22 09:58:42 EDT 2012

And it should go without saying that application specific directories for major apps should be in their own filesystems to prevent them doing crazy things especially if they generate logs or large datafiles.   Also /home is always a problem on many multi-user systems.  Users simply want to keep everything forever.   Using partitioning helps split out what users are doing from the OS even if you don't normally split out /var, /usr, /tmp and other OS level directories.   On systems where /home is tightly constrained you even want to turn on quotas for tighter control.