[ale] Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Mar 21 15:09:32 EDT 2012

Thanks to all for the responses.   I had done soft Raid,   I had done
LVM a little, but never LVM on top of softRaid.

I screwed up my courage to the sticking point last night,  exported the
Virtualbox appliances, and reinstalled 6.2.

Of course, the first CD boot, to install, rattled for a while, then
after a couple minutes it completely hung with the Centos logo on the
screen.  Great.
The 2nd time booting, using the text install, I didn't have the disk
setup options.  Super.
The third time I booted to the live CD, then picked "install to hard
disk", and got the disk setup I've grown to know and.... be ok with.

I averaged out the responses, put /boot on /dev/md0, and the only PV
on /dev/md1, and split out root, home and u under that.  All appears to
be well.

To answer your question, /u for me is typically my products,
databases... all my company's stuff, which isn't mine personally.    I
attempt to segregate that from linux stuff in the standard directories.
I attempt to avoid anything in /usr which isn't a part of Linux.
Excepting /usr/local.      So my priority in making backups is always /u
first, then /home, then /usr/local, then / minus those three.

It's my hope that if I were to blow away the linux boot or / data, by
having a separate filesystem I'm more likely to be able to pop the drive
into a newly built replacement chassis and mount /home and /u.  The junk
in /usr/local is stuff I COULD reload if I had to.   The stuff in /home
and /u exists nowhere else on the planet but my backups.

Neal