[ale] ext4 in RHEL5.8

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:56:41 EDT 2012

get the kernel src.rpm and install it as a user. Read the SPECS/kernel.spec
file to see the patch list. Then look at the patches found in the SOURCES
dir. It will include the headers with the version numbers from the upstream
kernel tree.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 03/20/2012 04:00 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> > Anyone using ext4 in later RHEL5 (5.6, 5.7 or 5.8) subversions?   I was
> > under the impression it was working properly in the later ones (where it
> > was not recommended in the earlier ones).    Any issues you’ve run
> > across using it in later subversions?
>
> One would have to likely compare the kernel source for ext4 against the
> upstream to see what "real" version the driver is at.  If it still
> compares to the early stages of the driver, than it wouldn't be
> advisable to use it.
>
> The real question is, how much have they patched the kernel that they have?
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/