[ale] Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 07:43:34 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's OK to have / on LVM. That allows adding more space if required later.
>
> A typical Fedora/RHEL/CEntOS install will put /boot on a partition and a
> single partition for a physical volume. That partition is split between /
> and swap so that swap can float as well if you add more RAM later. / is all
> one big partition typically but later version of desktop installs make a
> separate /home.
>
> As you are looking at RAID as well, make the md devices and put LVM on top.
> The caveat is you want swap on non-RAID as it handles itself sort of
> raid-like already. (That said, swap on raid is reliable but it gets slow on
> heavy used systems)
>
> md0 for /boot
> sda2 for swap
> sdb2 for swap
> md1 for LVM pv_main
> subdivide pv_main for OS layout. into /, /home, /var, etc...
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting ready for the 3rd time installing Centos 6.2 on new server for
>> home.   We usually figure we get to install at least twice on a new OS and
>> hardware.
>>
>> This time the re-install is to get the drive partitioning and soft RAID
>> right.    I didn't have the 2nd drive for the 2nd install.
>>
>> Normally our prior Fedora servers have been
>>
>> /dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)
>> /dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>> /dev/md2 on /u type ext3 (rw)
>>
>> This time around I was thinking on using LVM, I guess to just get more
>> experience with LVM.   However, since you wouldn't want to risk resizing
>> /boot or root filesystem,  I see no point in them being in LVM.
>>
>> Primary drive is 1.5TB, of which 220GB is occupied by Windows7 boot, which
>> I'd prefer to not disturb.
>> 2nd drive is 1TB.
>>
>> So, I'm thinking of a layout like this:
>>
>> /dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)   (whatever boot takes)
>> /dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)          (about 50GB)
>> /dev/md2 on VolumeGroup00         (about 1TB)
>>           And logical volumes for /home and /u, which can be resized as
>> needed between /home and /u
>> /dev/sda? on /u2                              (remaining 300GB, not Raid
>> 1, just on the one bigger drive)
>>

>> Is that going to work?   Other thoughts?
>>
>> Neal Rhodes
>> MNOP Ltd

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
> please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
> - 2011 Noam Chomsky
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

 Are you using a card to do your raid? If you are doing a soft raid,
leave /boot /dev/sda1, I haven't seen a box use /dev/mdx for boot.
Just like I haven't see a box use /dev/VolGroup/LogVolboot. Most
software raid have to be load, until the drivers are loaded, how will
your server know you are using a softraid.

If it's a hardware raid, then by all means set up the /boot as a read.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org