[ale] Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 07:36:50 EDT 2012

It's OK to have / on LVM. That allows adding more space if required later.

A typical Fedora/RHEL/CEntOS install will put /boot on a partition and a
single partition for a physical volume. That partition is split between /
and swap so that swap can float as well if you add more RAM later. / is all
one big partition typically but later version of desktop installs make a
separate /home.

As you are looking at RAID as well, make the md devices and put LVM on top.
The caveat is you want swap on non-RAID as it handles itself sort of
raid-like already. (That said, swap on raid is reliable but it gets slow on
heavy used systems)

md0 for /boot
sda2 for swap
sdb2 for swap
md1 for LVM pv_main
subdivide pv_main for OS layout. into /, /home, /var, etc...

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> **
> I'm getting ready for the 3rd time installing Centos 6.2 on new server for
> home.   We usually figure we get to install at least twice on a new OS and
> hardware.
>
> This time the re-install is to get the drive partitioning and soft RAID
> right.    I didn't have the 2nd drive for the 2nd install.
>
> Normally our prior Fedora servers have been
>
> /dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/md2 on /u type ext3 (rw)
>
>  This time around I was thinking on using LVM, I guess to just get more
> experience with LVM.   However, since you wouldn't want to risk resizing
> /boot or root filesystem,  I see no point in them being in LVM.
>
> Primary drive is 1.5TB, of which 220GB is occupied by Windows7 boot, which
> I'd prefer to not disturb.
> 2nd drive is 1TB.
>
> So, I'm thinking of a layout like this:
>
> /dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)   (whatever boot takes)
> /dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw)          (about 50GB)
> /dev/md2 on VolumeGroup00         (about 1TB)
>           And logical volumes for /home and /u, which can be resized as
> needed between /home and /u
> /dev/sda? on /u2                              (remaining 300GB, not Raid
> 1, just on the one bigger drive)
>

> Is that going to work?   Other thoughts?
>
> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky