[ale] Linux shell process

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:13:45 EDT 2012

cool tool but useless on modern *NIX.

Back when dinosaurs roamed and most ale-ers had non-gray hair (or hair at
all!) and terminals were amber or green, tools like calendar were essential.

For tiny systems, that's a great tool!

see 'cal' command. It is in util-linux-ng package so is installed on Fedora
and RHEL. It will not do the birthday thing from the OP but will display a
simple 1 month (default), prior/current/next 3-month spread, or full year
all with current day highlighted.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> calendar not a default package any more for fedora (or RHEL) I think. On
> my work laptop, it's an EPEL repo item.
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dennis Ruzeski <denniruz at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> >     I would create a ~/.calendar file. Then I would receive an email
>> reminding
>> >     me.
>> >
>> >     You could also add the command calendar -w 7 in your .profile to
>> display
>> >     any birthdays in the next 7 days on login.  See man calendar.   I
>> think I
>> >     first learned about calendar using BSDi.
>>
>> % man calendar
>> No manual entry for calendar
>>
>> This is on my F15 laptop
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
> please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
> - *2011 Noam Chomsky
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> *

James P. Kinney III