[ale] bizarre error with thunderbird

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Mar 14 08:51:05 EDT 2012

On 03/14/2012 08:37 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Every once in a while you might get a file name with non-printing
> characters in it for one reason or another.   When you do ls it shows
> all files but what is displayed might not be the whole name.   Try
> running ls -b to see if there are any odd characters in names.
>
> Usually you can find enough unique about a file to delete it or
> rename it.  (e.g. you might be able to see a file with ls -l svn* if
> it has odd characters after the svn part of the name as implied by
> your message).  Of course if the odd characters are at the start of
> the file name you have to work a little harder (e.g. ls -l *n*ssh*
> might work).

A couple of things that are weird about this.  I found the directory it
is referencing, but no file of that name is in it.

Secondly, why in the world would thunderbird be attempting to touch a
file that has to do with subversion?  (svn+ssh..)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson