[ale] OT: Craigslist Scam

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Tue Mar 13 15:04:44 EDT 2012

If you sell anything via the web (or even print media) these days,
expect several fraudulent offerings.

If you have ANY doubt then IGNORE THEM.  Do NOT reply!

If the From and Reply-To are different or the Reverse DNS lookup of the
sending IP (in the mail headers) is suspicious ignore.

If they offer a Cashier's check for more with you PAYING THEM the
difference, run as fast as you can!

If you're trying to purchase a high value item, view it in person first!
If you're selling insist on cash or a LOCAL bank check and don't release
the item until you go to the bank and cash the check into cash to you.

If you sell a car, keep the tags and go with the buyer to the motor
vehicle department to ensure the title transfers.  If it doesn't and
there's a crash you are liable as the owner.

If you sell a computer overwrite the disks first to ensure deletion of
confidential information.  On Linux the following works against anybody
but the NSA or IBM in single-user mode:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
  sync

or

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
  sync

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob