[ale] 1and1 hosting

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Tue Mar 13 11:19:55 EDT 2012

That's entirely possible. I was on their "three years free" plan when they
first started in the US. When that time was up the Windows plan was about
half the price of the Linux plan. I just looked and the two plans are the
same price now. My current payment cycle is close to being up and I'm
seriously considering moving everything to another provider.

--Brian

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 03/13/2012 10:06 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> > Just got a message regarding my hosting package.  Thought the list might
> > find this interesting:
> >
> > What will improve?
> > =============================
> > Apart from better performance and more security, the migration
> > to a Linux operating environment (based on Debian Squeeze/6.0)
> > specifically adapted to the needs of 1&1 and its customers...
>
> Wasn't 1&1 one of the providers that Microsoft gave a huge payout to
> some years back if they would host a lot of Windows stuff in their
> business?  I seem to recall some sort of deal where Microsoft paid
> hosting providers a lot of money to host Windows stuff (enough that
> everything that the provider charged was pure profit, because if memory
> serves, Microsoft provided the hardware _and_ the software _and_ money
> on the side... but I could be wrong).
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if
they're genuine."
   — Abraham Lincoln