[ale] SVN modified timestamps

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:28:28 EDT 2012

May I inquire as to why you're opting for SVN over Mercurial or even Git
(not my preference)?

On Monday, March 12, 2012, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> I am primarily a user of CVS and I have decided to migrate to SVN.   So
> far I've spent many hours doing the migration, but like where this is
> headed.
>
> Most of my repositories are going to be embedded type systems.  More
> than just one package.  I ran into a problem with modified timestamps
> that does not occur with CVS since it will store these.  I've come up
> with a solution and want to vet it out for feasibility.
>
> Since my tree includes many packages I do _NOT*_ ever want configure to
> be executed in those directories.  When I did my first migration test
> yesterday I noticed that configure was being executed for each package
> on a fresh build.  Not what I want.  Being a noob with SVN it took me a
> while to determine that SVN does not store file time attributes.
>
> I hacked out a solution.
>
> I wrote a perl program to store atime and mtime of all files in the tree
> before the import.  I then created some perl utilities to use this
> information.  The intention is that after I execute a svn checkout I
> then execute the fix_timestamps.pl utility.  It reads a file of stored
> attributes and then uses utime(2) to put those attributes back.  The
> only downside of this is remembering to do a diff and update on the
> TIMESTAMPS file when doing a svn ci.  It would not hurt if I forgot
> since I'm only storing the source and the whole tree would need to be
> rebuilt anyway.
>
> This is the first solution I've came up with.
>
> Chris

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59