[ale] does DUMP backup only the 'used' HD fraction, OR, the 'entire' HD, blank space and all ?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 9 14:58:53 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 14:42 -0500, Vernard Martin wrote:
> On 3/9/2012 2:13 PM, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > Beware!
> >
> > Some versions of dump/restore fail to preserve directory permissions,
> > instead creating all directories mode 777 on restore!
> >
> > I saw this about 5 years ago when Rackspace restored my client's backup
> > following hard disk failure.  It was UGLY to recover from.
> >
> > I'd suggest either rsync or tar.
> >
> > Be sure to ALSO record inode to file names.  This is critical in case of
> > file system damage so that when fsck reports inode ### as damaged you
> > know which file/dir to restore.
> >
> > I suggest something similar to the following just before one does
> > backups so that /root/inode_list can be recovered from backup if
> > necessary.
> >
> >    find / -ls>  /root/inode_list

> Also check and verify that ACLs are not being used. IF they are, then
> you need to save/restore those as well. Rsync is nice and will do this
> for you but judicious use of getfacl/setfacl is sometime most efficacious.

Oh, crap yes.  Forgot about those and what about extended attributes???
I don't think I would trust dump.  It might get them and it might now.
The A and X options to rsync.

If you use rsync, read over the options VERY CAREFULLY!  You need A for
acls and X for extended attributes and don't forget H for hard links!

Regards,
Mike