[ale] C/C++ Documentation program

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Mar 5 14:52:32 EST 2012

On 03/05/2012 02:02 PM, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Not qui
> Please forgive if what I'm about to type isn't completely clear.  I'm
> not sure such a thing exists so it makes it difficult to put in words.
>
> I was just handed a , let's call it, a poorly documented C/C++ program
> for an embedded system.  There are changes that need to be made
> throughout.  I know how the system works at a hardware level, but what I
> really need to create is a bit of a flow chart, function/procedure call
> map for the entire project.  You know a map that shows all the other
> functions (in what files) the main.cpp file calls in order if possible.
>   Does such a beast exists?

ctags can generate a cross reference file which lists, in human readable form,
information about the various source objects found in a set of language files.

Many editors will read tag files and provide easy lookups for you.  There are
many C/C++ to HTML tools as well, which will hyperlink between the function
calls and the method for you.  I recall using them in the mid-1990s.

If you are using C++, then you really want to use a class diagrammer.  Almost
any of them will reverse from source code.

http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/diagrams.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/517589/tools-to-get-a-pictorial-function-call-graph-of-code

I'd provide exact tools, but I haven't written any C++ in over a decade.