[ale] Help! I am getting zyppered!

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Mar 1 16:33:10 EST 2012

Yeah but what a pain in the yast...

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of James Taylor
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:15 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] Help! I am getting zyppered!

This seems a little weird, because unless you specifically configure the update sources and explicitly set auto update, nothing gets downloaded with openSUSE.
I have half a dozen openSUSE boxes at home, and none of them of any version do that.
If you somehow managed to enable auto update, all you have to do is turn it off.

In the GUI..
yast|software|softwaremanagement|configuration|online update
(running this will probably refresh the repositories, but this is a few hundred kb, not mb...)

uncheck the automatic updates box.

CLI version...
yast|software|online update configuration

uncheck the automatic online update option

-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> 3/1/2012   01:24 PM >>>
It is likely the automatic update process. Look for PackageKit and turn it
off. You may need to get a DVD of updates to get it current from that.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Cornelis van Dijk <cor.angela0 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few days ago I installed SuSe 12.1. When I go on the Internet, the
> system almost immediately takes over my dialup connection with endless
> downloads. Activating a firewall does nothing. Refusing authorization
> for downloading does nothing. The system monitor shows nothing. Moving
> suspicious files in /var to /temp does nothing.
>
> All traffic slows down to a crawl because of this downloading.
>
> I let the system go overnight, hoping that it would finish, no such
> luck, it was still going in the morning. They are downloading hundreds
> of MB without permission or even warning!
>
> I can not use my phone, in or out, while this is going on.
>
> I tried to contact them but I ran into a myriad of links and whenever
> I succeed in leaving a message, I get no answer.
>
> THIS IS AN ATROCITY! Redmond would not do this!
>
> Anybody know how to stop this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cor van Dijk
>
> (I know I should get broadband, but we are on Social Security and have
> to pinch pennies.)

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/