[ale] Windows 8 release

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at Tux86.org
Thu Mar 1 12:43:11 EST 2012

May be old news to some...found this on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech/mobile/microsoft-windows8/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Microsoft unveils Windows 8 in challenge to Apple, Google

<quote>

In terms of functionality, Governor said Windows 8 suffered from a
"weird two-personality thing" as it switched between its user-friendly
new Metro interface into functional areas of computing.

"A lot of people aren't going to be comfortable with that: here is this
new Metro personality and then, oh by the way, now I really want some
really hardcore web development. I found it OK, but I don't know how it
will work with others."

</quote>

I think we have all observed the leg-up that Gnome and Unity have gained
on this market let alone what Android and iOS already do.  (And I don't
like Gnome 3 or Unity...but they are already out there and further into
the development cycle)  It looks to me that Ubuntu is well on it's way
to being what MS wants to be...and as much of an Ubuntu fan-boy as I've
been in the past (for some things) I am NOT a fan of what they are
doing.

But my Linux desktop dilemma is just that...mine.  I am just thankful
for tools like Ubuntu Tweak!  THAT is something that I have been getting
into lately.........cheers!    ---RinL