[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jun 30 01:37:22 EDT 2012

On 6/29/2012 22:20, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 01:10 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> Everything I've searched for with whatever Google-fu I could use
>> indicates I'll need to perform translation using NAT64 or equivalent but
>> there's nothing out there that says how this should be done specifically
>> (i.e. what magical incantations of iptables are needed if indeed
>> iptables is the eventual handler of this).  The various docs just say
>> "You need it".  Well no kidding.
>
> You can have your 10.0.0.0/8 as well as your IPv6 space.  That simply
> means that you'll need a DHCP server that hands addresses in that space out.
>
> You will also likely be able to keep at least a single IPv4 address from
> your ISP for quite some time, so you can still do normal IPv4 NAT for
> your RFC 1918 segment(s).
>
> You'll only need some form of proxy or protocol translator if you
> absolutely need to have the device(s) have IPv6 addresses and be able to
> communicate on the IPv6 network.  That would be a pain in the rear end,
> but it would work just fine for many types of protocols (e.g., not ones
> like SIP or FTP).

There's no guarantee I'll keep an IPv4.  This is both a home plan ahead
and a work plan ahead.  At home it's up to AT&T whether they give me an
extra IPv4 or not.  At work I likely wouldn't get the choice and get
handed an IPv6 and that's it.

All the devices speak plain TCP/telnet (at work it's ModBusTCP, HTTP or
straight TCP/telnet).  At home the devices are TCP, HTTP, or LPR (two
hardware print servers).

I know I can dual-stack most of the machines so data collection and/or
printing could continue but the details of giving one of these things a
connection to IPv6 space is fuzzy at best but it's also what I'm most
curious about.  I want to have the option to assign a single IPv6
address to the device by way of the translator/proxy but I can't seem to
find any information about such a translator/proxy.

(I guess I should also make sure that my next experiment with Asterisk
and IP phones involves getting phones that support IPv6.)