[ale] What does 256-bit AES-compliant, ATA Security Mode Features mean in the specs for a SSD?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:48:45 EDT 2012

On 06/25/2012 06:39 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Yes. This is hardware-based encryption. You can still run LUKS in
> it as well but other than a general mistrust of closed-source
> encryption, why?
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Scott Castaline
> <skotchman at gmail.com <mailto:skotchman at gmail.com>> wrote:

Okay, just got a reply to this on the OCZ forum. He claims that the
256 bit complaint encryption is strictly for their secure erase
utility and that if I want to encrypt the drive I do need 3rd party
software. I kind of got that feeling on exploring their site and
poking around the howtos for their utilities. But I don't understand
what you need that level of encryption just for erasing?

Also I'm still looking for any recommendations on any particular
brand/model of SSD. I was thinking somewhere in the 128G - 256G range
SATA III. Any tips would be appreciated.