[ale] [OT] AT&T/UVerse going to carrier grade NAT?

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:25:51 EDT 2012

This is bad news for AT&T customers, as their customers will be
double-NATted. Perhaps a workaround could be allowing the customers to
manage their allowed port range/firewall/NAT, or having a customer put
their LAN onto AT&T's LAN, if they trust AT&T to not capture packets.

There's a really interesting google techtalk where ipv4 to v6 is
discussed. I don't have the link but I do remember it was in japan and
sponsored by docomo. One of the workarounds discussed is that you have
x number of customers behind a single public ip. I believe this is
"CGN". Obviously this wouldn't work for well-known ports that multiple
customers want to use.

Also I've seen on dslreports that ipv6 is working in some Uverse areas
by modding the firmware.