[ale] OT help ENDING unsolicited phone calls

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jun 8 00:04:31 EDT 2012

Hi JD,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I've looked over some of it. I'm sure I'll be climbing this learning curve for some time. See also my reply to Scott.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

Learning VoIP is like learning Linux. Initially, it is a tough uphill battle.

Good info here: http://www.voip-info.org/
All noob questions are answered there.

You don't need any hardware directly connected to your PC. An ATA device can sit
on your LAN and you'll probably want to pay a service provider to bridge the
SIP/POTS network for you. That way, you don't get stuck paying AT&T/Comcast for
anything anymore except ISP bandwidth.

Almost any PC you have that is less than 15 yrs old can run Asterisk and support
10+ lines. Businesses deploy Atom-based mini-PCs for 100+ concurrent VoIP
lines. It isn't about CPU, usually. I've run FreeSWITCH inside a Xen VM
happily, but having access to a low latency timer does seem to matter for better
call quality.

You can setup a PBX, not connected it to any POTS network, use only soft-phones
and have fun. Try it out, before you drop any cash. I've been using the same
$35 ATA for 8+ yrs - that's the entire extent of my SIP-specific hardware
investment. I do not have any FX0 connections - i.e. no POTS.

On 06/06/2012 12:59 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi JD,
>
> Thank you, and also the other party, who mentioned the DIY PBX concept to me. I
> can't believe I'm even considering such a thing for home use, and I may or may
> not actually try it. However ...
>
> I was looking over some docs from here:

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo