[ale] unsalted hashes of 6 million linkedin passwords published on the internet

Stephen Haywood stephen at averagesecurityguy.info
Thu Jun 7 15:47:08 EDT 2012

> Unsalted and unseeded.  If the hashing had been seeded, the brute
> forcing would be impossible without the private seed.

I understand what you mean by unsalted but explain unseeded in terms
of a SHA1 hash. My understanding is the file contained about 6.5
million unique password hashes, of which about 3.5 million were
cracked before the list was made public. Last I heard about 1.5
million had be cracked and analyzed by Stefan Venken (@StefanVenken).
I believe the folks at KoreLogic have cracked over 3 million of them.
--
Stephen Haywood
Information Security Consultant