[ale] debugging a Mac snafu

Passauer, Billy hpassau at emory.edu
Mon Jun 4 15:37:20 EDT 2012

Hi Sean,

With regard to trying to burn a DVD of the Library folder -- are you trying to burn /Library or ~/Library ?  If the latter, temporary/cache files are getting created/deleted from this directory.  Lots of programs use this directory to store/update preferences.  Maybe do as previously suggested and create an iso first and then burn the iso.  Or make a duplicate of the directory, and burn the duplicate?

You should be able to read the system logs via the Console application, which is located in /Applications/Utilities

As far as getting the "GUI file manager" (Finder?) to display the contents of /var - if you open the "Go" menu and choose "Go to Folder...", you should then be able to enter /var

 ... Billy ...