[ale] Low voltage work in GA

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 31 14:02:56 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 01:28 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Note: most of the installation code is good practices. A missing part
> is(was?) distance between cable runs and 4'/8' florescent lights.
> Ballasts cause _nasty_ interference.

So running signal wires inside of grounded shielding is a good idea.
Whoda thunk it?  :-P

That said, there are ways to do that without mandating the use of EMT as
well.  Again, I could be understanding the code incorrectly, but it
seems that EMT is required even for Cat3/5/6 and their standard
applications.

EMT is nice, don't get me wrong.  It'd be perfectly suited to the task
of grounded shielding, as well.  But a flexible aluminum tube can do the
same thing for runs of extremely low-voltage wire such as Cat6 in a
gigabit network.

Even category 3 runs -48VDC and a limited amount of AC current on the
line when used in telecommunications.  Not that I've ever heard of
anyone killing themselves on a simple, analog telephone wire.  But hey,
if someone is so talented as to be able to do that, more power to 'em (hah).

What _really_ boggles the mind is that it is seemingly impossible to
independently bootstrap oneself in Georgia for almost anything.  One
seriously doesn't need to be an expert in the NEC to install Ethernet
networks.  They're friggin' Ethernet networks!

±2 VDC on any of the 4 pairs at any given time, unless it's 0 VDC.  Not
terribly difficult.  And honestly, if your Ethernet is carrying voltage
due to some catastrophic, multiple cascade failure of the surge
protections in place, you have much bigger problems, like the hundreds
or thousands of dollars of equipment you're likely to need to replace in
order to bring your network back online.  Besides, the conductors in
cat6 are small enough that they'll simply melt if any "real" juice is
applied to them; it's not like they can carry lots of power.  The most
that can be carried in a configuration which utilizes PoE is about 15.4
watts over two pairs (802.3af-2003) or 25.5 watts (802.3at-2009).  Some
non-compliant applications will pull up to 51 W by pulling power on all
four pairs, but that's prohibited by the standard.

By my off-the-cuff calculations, that means that in the original PoE
spec, 7.7 W per pair (there are two used).  In PoE+, 12.75 W per pair.
In non-standard and non-compliant (e.g., forbidden by 802.3at-2009)
applications, it's still 12.75 W per pair, but across all four pairs.

According to Wikipedia, this is still within the limitations of the
cabling itself; my understanding of the information there is that you
can have up to 31.25 V and up to 577 mA (for a total of 18.61 W per pair
or 74.43 W across all four pairs) before exceeding the capability of the
24 AWG conductors and causing failure.

Given that a standard gigabit Ethernet implementation we'll only have ±2
VDC at about 100 mA max, and being that any failure of, say, a switch or
a computer to isolate the cable from an overload will simply cause the
wire to melt... perhaps I should experiment and see what happens in
controlled but extremist conditions.  But I seriously doubt that I could
cause a fire in a cat6 cable without introducing some extremely insane
operating conditions the likes of which I have never seen on any of
several hundred networks.

Any of the handful of networks that I've seen and had to rebuild after
damage from lightning never even suffered failure catastrophic enough
that the Ethernet cables caught fire or anything like that.  The
conductors have melted first, essentially acting as a fuse for
protecting the cable itself, in every single instance I can recall
first-hand.

Wanna do forensics?  Work under someone before you can pass a test.  Oh,
and get a degree in a criminal justice program or related field. (!)
Oh, and work in law enforcement or under a private security firm which
is licensed for at least two (?) years. (!!)

Wanna install cat6?  Work under someone before you can pass a test.

Hey, when will it get to the point where I need an apprenticeship and a
Guild membership so that I can flush the toilet and send my waste to the
county processing plant?  :-P

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”