[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:22:03 EDT 2012

System is set in BIOS to be ON at all time - power control area of
BIOS. PDU controls power to system. when PDU turns on power, system
automatically boots up.

For this to work, you MUST HAVE a battery powered conditioner with
smarts that can signal the system it's now on battery. Then the system
itself can begin the controlled shutdown (sync->hibernate is better).

you must also have a secondary system as a watchdog. It is there to
watch the important system services. A controlled shutdown from the
UPS signal will shutdown the system. If the power comes back on before
the battery goes dead, the hardware never sees a power->no
power->power transition so it stays OFF. the watchdog system hits the
PDU (between battery and main system) and power cycles the port to
force the main system back up.

Hmm. a dual power supply system with one PS on battery and the other
not on battery would be useful. If the hardware had I2C smarts the OS
could detect running on battery itself and could handle the restart
itself. If both go off, battery can still signal for a hibernate.