[ale] [OT] High Density Binary Paper Storage

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Jul 31 10:28:14 EDT 2012

I remember back in the day when paper storage took up lots of room that there were many microfiche solutions wherein one would scan the documents then shred them.   I don't recall what the lifespan of microfiche is but I do know that many libraries also used (may still use) that technology for keeping old copies of newspapers around for a long time.

This article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microform

Says in part:
" It is a stable archival form when properly processed and stored. Preservation standard microfilms use the silver halide process, creating silver images in hard gelatin emulsion on a polyester base. With appropriate storage conditions, this film has a life expectancy of 500 years. Unfortunately, in tropical climates with high humidity, fungus eats the gelatin used to bind the silver halide. Thus, diazo-based systems with lower archival lives (20 years) which have polyester or epoxy surfaces are used."