[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jul 31 10:24:03 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 09:53 AM, Dennis Ruzeski wrote:
> I've always used a drac/ilo for this- They're a great solution if your
> systems support it since they will allow you to recover from the stray
> kernel panic or non-responsive ssh or to remotely patch your bios.
>
> --Dennis

+100

Really, really cheap servers don't support RILBO or DRAC, but you can get fairly
inexpensive Dell, HP and IBM servers that do support it and the cards are
cheaper than 1 trip to a site would cost in time.  I haven't looked recently,
but the cheapest Dell that supports a DRAC was $1200 a few yrs ago.  You can
load an OS remote with these.  They are either network or POTS connected.

Even if you only live an hour away from the servers, it is worth it to have a
DRAC just in the time savings alone.