[ale] [OT] Lifespan of Storage Devices

Erik Mathis erik at mathists.com
Mon Jul 30 18:14:16 EDT 2012

par2 is some really hot stuff. I've recovered entire movies using just
one of twohundred rar files completely recovering from par2. Of course
it can take the better part of a day to recover a high def movie.

For offsite backups, I've used these cool little drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822161079
I'd prolly also store a USB card with the drives (who knows if USB
will be around in 10 years)

In your case, I'd use one hdd for the real data and par2 files. Then
also put par2 files on a DVD. If my life depended on it, I'd double up
that effort.

Storing of any media long term depends on of course environmental
conditions. I'll let you google that tho I did fish this out of my
bookmarks http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/opticalmedialongevity.html lots
of good info on this subject.
Those little moister absorbing packets should be included where ever
you store them. Also capping off the USB connector might also be a
good idea.

You could always print it all out ;)

Good Luck!

-Erik-