[ale] [OT] Lifespan of Storage Devices

Ted W ted at techmachine.net
Sat Jul 28 22:18:17 EDT 2012

On Jul 28, 2012, at 4:30 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 07/28/2012 03:00 PM, gcs8 wrote:
>> Cheap 40tb zfs raidz2 that backs up to crash plan. ~9 tb in and no problems over
>> the past ~ year and that includes moving.
>
> You said 9TB out of 40TB.  What happens to the rest of that data at failure?
>
> Actually, a talk on ZFS and raidz2 under Linux would be fantastic!  Are you
> available to present?
>
> If you have 6 months to trickle the missing data back, that can work. Does
> crashplan have a replacement HDD emergency FedEx service?  I'd hate to think how
> long pulling 40TB will take. Looks like you can have them ship you a 1TB HDD
> http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/feature/seed_service  Looks like you can
> send them a HDD (might need to request the specific model from them) to seed
> your backups too. Very nice.
>
> 1 year is good as a start, but how many cloud storage vendors have been alive
> more than 10 yrs?  Is S3 that old yet?

To answer the question about hdd fedex. Yes, crashplan will do a hdd "pre-seed" where they will ship you the drives necessary to do the first full backup and then you only have to backup the diffs over the network after that. In the event you have to recovery large quantities of data quickly, they will also ship disks containing your data to you. These services are not free, of course.
--
Ted W. < Ted at Techmachine.net >
Registered GNU/Linux user #413569