[ale] OT: How many Linux guys are looking for work in ATL?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:58:21 EDT 2012

>From what I understand of the ATL market, things are good for Linux
people. In general, RHCE means more than LPIC-3 because more shops are
Red Hat and recruiters see the RHCE acronym more than the LPIC or
SuSE. Nothing wrong with any of the certs, but RHCE has brand
recognition.

For experienced (3+ years) people pay seems to be in the $80K year
range. Contracts can do $35-$45/hr without much effort.

At the 5+ year mark it seems like $90/yr or $55/hr is normal.

If you have less than 3 years I'd recommend non-profit work,
educational system, or getting on with a company in a very junior
role. You're working more for resume building than money at this
point. You'll also get a world of experience that you won't get
hacking Linux at home.

At least that path worked for me.   :)

Leam

--