[ale] HELP NEEDED - Comcast cable Modem and linux-centric home network

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 19 09:25:28 EDT 2012

Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> writes:

> ALErs,
>
> I finally gave up on DSL and signed up for Comcast's cable modem service.
>
> The self-install kit arrives, and after some install issues I have the
> device up.  It from SMC, and has built-in router, DHCP server and
> Wifi, none of which can be turned off by
> the customer.
>
> My initial attempt to hook it up to my Fedora 15 box (after testing
> with a WIndows box) failed - it appeared to not be routing requests
>
> Has anyone set a similar system up and could offer pointers/advice?

Is you F15 box the same hardware as Windows?  Or are they different
hardware?  If different hardware than your MAC has changed.  The CM
usually caches the MAC address.  Try rebooting your CM to swap machines.

> Thanks,
>
> Pete Hardie

-derek