[ale] ubuntu 12.04 SLOW!

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Jul 15 11:25:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

> I just have time for a quick message, but has anyone noticed Ubuntu
> 12.04 runs VERY slow. I mean, my vintage 2002 single core machine on
> 11.04 32 bit with 1 GB of RAM runs better than my 1 year old dual core
> machine with 8 GB RAM on 12.04 64 bit. Google ubuntu 12.04 slow
> sluggish. You'll see, I'm not the only person who sees this. Anyone know
> anything about it and what I can do about it other than retrograde back.
> With this and Unity (which I've banished), I'm NOT impressed.

Try this:

#apt-get install htop

run it, and scroll down.

Do you see a whole bunch of:  console-kit-daemon  processess?

Kill them.

#killall /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

On servers, for a quick fix, I have been:

#mv /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon.spawnfromhell

There seems to be a real issue with it, I'm not even sure what it is
supposed to do, but it is killing some systems.. No time to properly
research right now. I know it's not required on a server.. :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+console-kit-daemon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs

Shows lots of people are having issues, and it's affected several system
of mine lately..