[ale] Giant storage system suggestions

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sat Jul 14 01:58:54 EDT 2012

To get the $/TiB down (as long as you don't need blinding speed), the
idea is to use cheap giant drives expecting them to fail.  RAID5/6's
recoverability falls away at roughly the 1TB-drive level so you're
pretty much forced to use some layered RAID, RAID10 being one
possibility for a 2:1 physical/effective ratio.