[ale] semi OT - misc security issues to think about - 07/12/12

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jul 12 16:11:33 EDT 2012

Hi all,

FWIW, here are some miscellaneous security items that you might want to
be aware of that I heard on the latest Security Now podcast.  I haven't
had any chance to investigate any of these in detail.

* If you're a lastpass user, there is a setting in the options which
allows you to turn on iterative password hashing.  This helps prevent
brute force attacks on your password.  Recommended setting is 512 I
believe.  Apparently, for some accounts, it is not turned on by default.

* If you're forced to use Windows, a vulnerability in Vista and Windows
7 sidebars and gadgets has been discovered which potentially allows an
attacker to do "remote code execution".  In other words, they can take
over your machine.  Microsoft has released a FixIt button on their
website to totally disable sidebars and gadgets.

* The following applies if you use the Plesk website management system.
This is a quote from the following website:

http://blog.sucuri.net/2012/06/plesk-vulnerability-leading-to-malware.html

"The first issue is that old versions of Plesk store passwords in
/*clear text*/ (yes, clear text in 2012). The second is a remote SQL
vulnerability that has been found in old versions of Plesk allowing
attackers to exploit those passwords."

As I understand it, even if your Plesk installation has been updated,
the passwords in the database are vulnerable until they are changed.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com