[ale] [OT] Getting into forensic work

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 10 12:40:25 EDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 12:36 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Greg Freeman is your go to guy for this sort of stuff. He has been doing
> exactly that sort of stuff for several years. Besides the technical
> competence, which you no doubt have, there is the legal aspect of chain
> of custody and such. To be admissible in court, it must be able to be
> proven that the evidence has not been altered in any way. Perhaps the
> experience requirement is to demonstrate not so much competence as a
> test of character to show that you aren't tempted to mishandle the
> evidence?

I guess, but it'd seem to me that the $25k bond would be enough to do
that for the average Joe...

If the barrier to entry is as high as I think it is, though, it makes my
job practically useless.  It'd mean that before doing anything I'd have
to ensure that I have a contractor available that is so licensed, and
what about the situation where I am working on something and then
realize that I need to collect data and such in this way?  Then I have
to stop and call someone else---which is not only very expensive, but my
hands have then provided "taint" because I don't have "credential".

Sigh.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”