[ale] And people say Linux is confusing....

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jul 9 13:25:09 EDT 2012

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I had to work with Windows 8 Server (beta) on a
> customer project...yesh!  And they say that Unity has issues!  What a
> charlie foxtrot.....

These two tweaks have solved most of my Unity issues.
I still like the default install on a netbook used for surfing
and casual idiot level usage but for a serious workstation
with a decent sized screen, these help a lot.
The first gets back to sane scrollbars in applications.
The second returns most of the system applications menu's
back to the application window. In firefox you have to disable
an extension as well.

echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0" > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars

apt-get autoremove appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt